Saturday, November 20, 2010

Safe Families

While I haven't known this wonderful woman of God for very long, in fact- I've only met her once, I deeply admire her passion and honesty for the Lord and His work. You can meet Traci here, where you'll find out about her family of 5, and how they are continually seeking to live for His glory, and His renown. Traci has a passion for Safe Families, a movement that's giving hope to children and families in crisis.  


In honor of National Adoption Awareness Month, below is a post from Traci's blog from October 7th...this family is definitely being the change they want to see in this world...


Life as a Safe Family 


We are really doin' it...finally...we have added our first Safe Family child to the brood! And God has given us a little gift in the process. We are hosting Emery, an absolutely striking boy of 2 years old. Emery's mom is young...so very young. She was a victim of the child welfare system in our country and was never adopted...never shown unconditional love. And, she became pregnant.

She chose life.

That life is a little boy with an infectious laugh and a smile that lights up a room. 

And mom just needs some help now. She knows she is not in a healthy situation. She has been homeless for a while. No job. Nothing. 

But, she heard about Safe Families and decided to trust them, and me. She was nervous about the distance and she immediately wanted to set up visits. Today, we made our first visit. Mom is so shy and quiet, she couldn't look me in the eye. That made me so sad. I can't imagine the shame she feels. She couldn't take care of her own son. She had to ask a stranger for help. I wanted to hug her tell her how wonderful her son is...that is is obvious she has been a good mom. But, how can we blame her for not knowing how to be a GREAT mom?

She never had one! She never watched a mom and learned how to be a mom by quietly watching every move her mom made. When I think if how I became a mom, the process began decades ago as I watched my mom move around the house, listened to her conversations, and felt safe and cared for. This mom didn't have that - and then we expect her to know how to be one?

That is what this ministry is all about! My prayer is that she begins to trust me and that someday I can see her and give her a big hug and tell her how great of a mom she is. (click here for original post)


A Special Thank you to the Weldie family for sharing their story!






No comments:

Post a Comment